CO2 Permeation – Model 504
Measure CO2 Permeation and Sorption
A patented, rapid, accurate, and reliable method for measuring CO2 permeation and sorption in packaging materials.
- Results in hours for most packages
- Nondestructive testing.
- Direct and accurate measurement of CO2 efflux from packages.
- Statistically robust shelf-life predictions with built-in ANOVA engine and confidence limits calculations.
- Test bottles, closures, films, or whole packages.
- Test at precisely controlled temperature and humidity conditions.
- Easy to use graphical interface requires no operator training
Coventional methods for measuring CO2 permeability in packages essentially measure changes occurring in the package CO2 content during a simulated shelf-life test. Such tests are inherently slow because it takes a long time to see a measurable change in CO2 content. Also inherent in such methods is the challenge of having to measure very small changes (often less than 10%) in package CO2 levels accurately over extended time periods. Further, since these tests take so long to complete they are also of little use in predicting shelf life of a packaged batch of product.
QuantiPerm CO2 Permeation – Model 504 Advantages
- Absolute shelf life characterization now posible
- Save months of measurement time compared to conventional test methods
- Expect significant cost savings compared to conventional methods
- Highly stable, and sensitive sensor based on infrared absorption
- Self-integrating operation over multiple cycles for accurate measurements
- Solid-state (peltier) temperature control
- Accurate relative humidity control
- Small footprint
- Sensor calibration is NIST traceable–certificates available
Principle of operation: CO2 emitted by packages under controlled environmental conditions (temperature, humidity) is directly measured with a highly sensitive infrared absorption sensor. Self-integrating operation over multiple cycles allows the determination of accurate permeation rates in a statistically rigorous manner. The sensor is also extremely stable and requires calibration only once in a year!
User Interface: Intuitive and user-friendly graphical interface requires little or no training to operate the instrument.
Specifications: Self-integrating system allows virtually unlimited measurement range and accuracy, from as little as 50 mL/pkg/day to greater than 3 L/pkg/day. Accuracy: better than 5% of reading. Built-in ANOVA engine is part of the data analysis routine, and results are reported with confidence intervals at chosen levels of significance. Temperature Control range: From 200 F (100 C) below ambient to 1200 F (500 C). Better than ± 0.10 F (± 0.050 C) control stability at the measurement sensor.